Saturday, February 18, 2017

WK 5 Regina Choi (ABSENT)

Taking some of the more extreme examples of proportional fun from Darkstalkers 3 and applying it to some cultist characters channeling the spirits of Vega, Honda, and Juri from Street Fighter (whew).

IMPORTANT NOTE: 
I'm not sure how often you both check this blog, but I couldn't find your emails so I thought I'd stick this note here-- I've been feeling ill for the last few days so it's very unlikely I'll make it to class today! No worries, I'll be caught up by the next week!


Meanwhile, here are some notable Darkstalkers 3 references:

Notes about my Street Fighter characters:

Juri: Extremely mobile; most notable feature are her powerful feet/legs. The majority of her unique moves involve a powerful series of kicks. She's ruthless.

Honda: Keeps his gravity centered and low; a huge body that's oddly muscularly defined for a sumo wrestler's. Hands and feet are of ordinary size. Despite his bulky round shape, he's unexpectedly quick.

Vega: A maneuverable build, with plenty of upper body strength. His attacks are swift and fluid, and he incorporates a claw-like weapon and a mask to protect his pretty face.

On to the sketches!! Keeping them extremely loose, and figuring out how to distort their fighting style "archetype" in the spirit of the Darkstalkers' brand of zaniness.

These pages are divided like this:
1) A general research page with sketches that helped me figure out how the costuming was going to work with possible body shapes.
2) The actual tweaking of proportions, just testing.
3) Just out of curiosity, I superimposed my favorite proportion onto my Street Fighter characters' more iconic actions. I didn't want to end up losing the SF characters' identities.

(Distant rumbling) "ARE YOU PREPARED TO FACE RETRIBUTION FOR YOUR SINS?"
Decided against a mask, which made him look too much like a literal god-representation.
"KNEEL BEFORE THE RA MIGHT OF MY CLAWS (sorry)"

Now she's a nasty, clattering imp with massive killer legs and feet + a boyish torso.
(UNINTELLIGIBLE CLICKING NOISES) ...They're probably deadly threats, though.
The costuming in all of these instances was treated in an extremely simple fashion because I didn't want the accessories to interfere with how I percieved the actual body-shape.

Can't wait to fully flesh these out and start adding details, etc!

See you next week!
-Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment