Saturday, March 25, 2017

Regina Choi WK10

Another fun week! Lovin the movie helps a ton.

Since this is a world with a strange blend of old-fashioned and future-minded sensibilities, I incorporated some hard-line motifs reminiscent of art deco elements (parallel lines, hard angles) into particular parts of each character's clothing; the architectural aim also affected the cuts/patterns of the costumes in small ways, but I tried to remain faithful to the costuming accurate to the time era of the original novel (1750's-1760's).

Altering Haylee Atwell's facial structure in a way that wasn't too cartoony or too uncanny was difficult. Still not sure if I hit a sweet spot, but I found a direction I really liked, and gave her a stark bob in keeping with the art deco period (1920's), which made for an interesting result, I think. It's a step in a direction I dig.

I was expecting to make John Silver the most different from his film counterpart, but he ended up becoming the most similar of the three. There were too many instances where I felt that the audience would feel more gratified to see a faithful translation from the original (albeit with some defined elements), such as his cyborg parts. I'll need to dwell on Silver a little longer.

Overall, I had a ton of fun. Can't wait to take this to the next stage and develop it further!
-Regina







And here's an informal mash-up to test character synergy:


No comments:

Post a Comment